The German government-owned Deutsche Gesellschaft fuer Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH operates on behalf of German Ministries, the governments of other countries and international clients. GIZ has a record for more than 55 years working in Thailand. For a regional project on “Project Development Programme (PDP) Southeast Asia” GIZ is currently looking for a project manager.
The Project Development Programme Southeast Asia (PDP-SEA) is a regional project formed as part of the initiatives: “renewables – Made in Germany” and “energy efficiency – Made in Germany” under the support from the Federal Ministry of Economics and Technology (BMWi). The BMWi has commissioned the Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH to implement the initiative’s regional activities in Southeast Asia. The focus countries are Indonesia, Philippines, Thailand, Vietnam and Myanmar.
The overall project objective is to support the promotion of renewable energy technologies as a feasible alternative to conventional power generation. PDP-SEA provides information to German and South-East Asian. The Programme is meant to strengthen both project development and implementation in renewable energy sectors with a particular focus on biomass, solar thermal, solar PV and biogas as well as in energy efficiency sectors, especially in industry and building. It aims at sharing knowledge and technology and creating business partnerships and sector-specific networks between German and Southeast Asian companies.
PDP SEA project: The main assignments of the project manager is to support the activities mentioned above to ensure the successful preparation and implementation of the result under PDP renewable energy (and energy efficiency) by
- independently managing the component of energy efficiency and renewable energy in accordance with the project goals and activities agreed with the partner (Department of Alternative Energy Development and Efficiency), team agreements and/or agreements with the superior
- providing professional advice to partners and cooperating with important stakeholders
- innovation and knowledge management and communication of innovations to a broad target group
- technical management of experts in the component.
Private sector development: The project manager will support the activities of the project to ensure visibility of GIZ services through private sector in order to deliver/cooperate with private sector in the area of energy services, environmental services and others services which in line with GIZ services. To this end he/she will make proposals for cooperation with other stakeholders and find sources for funding for new projects.
- Professional advisory services
- advises partner institution(s) identifying needs, developing concepts and strategies, and provides technical input
- works on policy recommendations and develops a strategic approach
- implementing the coordination process, joint project/programme activities and work in the regions
- formulates terms of reference and selects and supervises third parties in the course of carrying out project/programme activities, including performance evaluation
- monitors the development and implementation of project/programme plans and activities in close consultation with counterparts
- deals with the design, preparation and implementation of workshops, seminars and other events on issues related to the project/programme’s area of activity
- develops and organises quality assurance measures and suggests necessary changes, improvements and initiatives
- monitors project progress and the activities of components, reviews reports and documents on the progress of joint programmes, identifies bottlenecks and recommends alternative management options to the programme manager
- is responsible for seeing that the services provided by the component are aligned with the partner’s needs
2. Networking and cooperation
- ensures cooperation, regular contact and dialogue with partners;
- supports PR work
- cooperates with local communities, relevant organisations, non-governmental agencies and individuals in the project/programme environment and with other projects to implement measures and maintain good working relationships
- communicates local interests and efforts, forwards these and encourages sharing ideas and information for the benefit of the project/programme
- travels in the region regularly, in accordance with project requirements, as well as abroad if needed
3. Knowledge management
- compiles information on renewable energy and energy efficiency policy, technology and market development and ensures knowledge transfer
- develops ready-to-use strategies and technical concepts, including guidelines, manuals and procedures
- draws up reports and presentation documents
- formulates appropriate input for various project/programme reports including annual reports, and contributes to the other reports required by the programme manager and GIZ Head Office
- assists with research activities and studies on political issues which benefit joint programmes.
4. Management and coordination tasks
- is responsible for project planning for the component and develops project concepts and strategies,
- ensures implementation according to workplan and timeline of the project
- coordinates and prioritises relevant project activities at local level in cooperation with the partners,
- compiles the relevant information for joint activities and assignments
5. Other duties/additional tasks
- performs other duties and tasks at the request of management
We are looking for a candidate whopreferably possesses (the equivalent of):
- masters/MSc or doctorate in an area that is related to the project/programme objectives, with a focus on a relevant field
- experiences with renewable energy project development, policy analysis
- cooperation with regional stakeholders
- 5-7 years’ professional experience, with at least 5 years’ professional experience in a comparable position
- excellent command of Thai and English in writing and speaking is absolutely essential, working knowledge of German is an asset
- very good working knowledge of ITC technologies (related software, phone, fax, email, the internet) and computer applications (e.g. MS Office)
- flexibility, commitment and enthusiasm to working on clean energy issues is expected
- ability to work under pressure and independently is required
- willingness to upskill as required by the tasks to be performed – corresponding measures are agreed with management
This will be a fixed-term contract, starting as soon as possible and running until
January 2015 (with high possibility of extension, we aim to hire for 2 years but for formal reason we can issue a 3 months contract only first).
Please submit your application and CV to firstname.lastname@example.org. The deadline for applications is Friday, 31st October 2014. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
More information about Gesellschaft fuer Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ), please visit https://www.giz.de/en/html/about_giz.html